Deep Midwinter: A Nordic Christmas at Chatsworth brings to life the Christmas legends, folklore and traditions of the Arctic and Nordic regions in a series of immersive roomscapes. Intricately sculpted ‘ice’ walls, giant woodland hideaways, sparkling pine forests, candlelight, lanterns and traditional Nordic Christmas decorations crafted from wood and foliage evoke the sights, sounds and scents of the natural world at wintertime.
Step into scenes straight from the pages of famous Nordic fairy tales; the White Bear, the Little Fir Tree, the Snowdrop and the Teapot. Collect postcards on your journey, each featuring popular tales from Nordic children’s authors, including Hans Christian-Andersen, alongside photographs of items from the Devonshire Collections.
Loki, himself, will be making a special guest appearance providing stories, music and magic tricks and enticing you into the garden to admire spectacular illuminated trails and features.
Make a magical Chatsworth Christmas wish to hang on our special Wish Tree and enjoy the chance to snap a Christmas themed photo with family and friends in front of our fun giant snowball or epic 24 feet Christmas trees.
Taking a starring role in the celebrations are pieces from the Collections that reflect the Devonshire family’s long history of celebrating Nordic culture and its connection to wilderness and nature. Many of the items are not often on display, including items of winter clothing worn by the 11th Duke of Devonshire on his expeditions into the wild, Nordic gems and crystals and a delicate and extremely rare strand of raw silver collected by the 6th Duke of Devonshire and originating from Ilsoe mine in Konsberg, Norway.
|Family (2 adults, up to 3 children)
- Child entry for the Christmas ticket is age 3-16 inclusive, and children aged 2 and under are free of charge.
- First house entry is 10am with last house entry at 4.30pm except on late night openings (see below)
- Access to the garden illuminations is included with Christmas tickets.
- The time on your ticket is your house entry. You may enter the garden and farmyard at any time during the day prior to last entry. Please note that last entry to the farmyard is 4pm.
- From 5-23 November, Christmas tickets also include access to the Christmas market.
We recommend that Friends of Chatsworth and pass holders also book tickets online. Book Friend and pass holder tickets.
- Chatsworth House, Garden & Farmyard are closed on 24, 25 & 26 December. Chatsworth House is closed on 1 January.